Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Where is Summer?

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Thursday, May 29, 2008

Where is Summer?

I am still waiting for summer like temperatures to get here. The weather has been anything but normal around here. We might have one day close to the normal high and then 3 or 4 below normal temperature days. Today we made it to around 77 degrees, which is below normal, but felt warm when compared to the other days. I had to cover the corn bed after the corn germinated to keep the birds out of it. So far so good. The corn is behind, but so are the farmer's field corn. Most of the corn I have been seeing in the fields around Indiana is only about 2 inches tall. In most years the corn is nearly a foot tall by now.

Some of the veggies that like cooler temperature are growing relatively well like the lettuce (see first pic below), broccoli, cabbage, etc. The potatoes in my Potato Bag are growing really well (see second pic below). I did have to water it really well after I took that picture as the vines were wilting a bit. I suspect that this bag will need to be watered a little more than the other beds. I tried growing radishes for the first time this year. I directly sowed "Champion" radish seeds using seed tape (because the seeds are small and I am too lazy to do much thinning). They turned out pretty good and I have been harvesting them. Not too hot and still crunchy, but not pithy. I like the fact that they are ready to harvest in about 3o days.

I also took a picture of my brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage plot (see third pic below). I side dressed fertilizer on the broccoli about 6 days ago using Vegetables Alive! Fertilizer from Gardens Alive. The broccoli seems to be growing well, but I did have to spray them for the first time this year with Bt for control of the worms, which have started to appear. My first planting of green beans have germinated, but they are waiting for warmer weather to start growing like all the other warm season plants.