Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Spring Garden Almost All Planted

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Spring Garden Almost All Planted

My garden is now almost all planted. I planted my broccoli and cabbage seedlings on May 3rd and planted tomato (Roma), pepper (Hot Banana, Sweet Banana, Park Whopper Green Pepper, and Super Chili) brussels sprout, and cucumber (Diva) seedlings yesterday. Oh, I almost forgot about the radishes. I planted two small rows of "Champion" radish about 2 weeks ago. They are up and growing now. I will be planting King of the Garden pole limas today along with some green beans (Espada and Roma II). I took apart my cold frame yesterday and put it away for the year. I continue to harvest green onions and I anticipate harvesting my first lettuce tomorrow as it is starting to grow now. I took down the hoop over my lettuce plot yesterday. I started some more lettuce seeds a few days ago for later planting out into the garden. The potatoes in the potato bag have emerged from the soil. My brother planted Yukon Gold potatoes in the raised bed about 5 days ago. He also planted NK-199 corn in the other raised bed on May 3rd and installed the electric fence around the bed to keep out the squirrels.

The weather has been warm and little dry over the past few weeks. Precipitation in Indianapolis for the month of April was about 2 inches below normal. I hope this is not the beginning of another dry year (like last year). I think the last frost/freeze date is past. Currently it is sunny and 82 degrees F in my garden, with the weather forecast for at least some rain and cooler temperature toward the end of this week. Cooler temps would be welcomed as some of my newly planted broccoli and cabbage seedlings are wilting somewhat in the heat of the day, but they bounce right back by morning.