Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Lettuce Seeds Started, More Snow

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Sunday, March 09, 2008

Lettuce Seeds Started, More Snow

Well, I should have known that right after I set up my cold frame that it would snow. Received about 4 inches of snow yesterday. It has been very cold for this time of year. I delayed seed planting until March 7th. I currently have all of my early lettuce seeds started. They are currently germinating under florescent lights on my converted bookshelf (see picture). I also have a seed warmer under the two half flats (you can order this seed warmer mat here: Electric Grow Mat Park Seed). This set up seems to work well for me. Once the seeds germinate, I move them to the cold frame. The lights keep the sprouts from getting too spindly after germination. I usually check the seeds twice a day, but sometimes they sprout before I get the chance to move them out into the cold frame.

I will be starting seeds of broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, celery, and fennel either today or tomorrow and seeds of warm weather plants in another week or so. The forecast is for warmer weather next week......HOORAY!!