Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Missing My Garden, Cold and Wet May So Far

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Monday, May 19, 2008

Missing My Garden, Cold and Wet May So Far

I was out of town and away from my garden for 8 days and I could not wait to get back to see how it was growing. It is especially hard to be away this time of year with all of the plants growing now. The May weather, so far, has been colder than normal with a fair amount of rain. The lettuce is loving this weather and has really started to grow fast. I harvested a good bit of lettuce today, with lots more to come. The warm season crops are struggling right now due to the cool weather, but the forecast is for warmer and dry weather for "Race Weekend" (that is what we call Memorial Day weekend here in Indianapolis). My potatoes are growing really well in the Potato Bag and have reached the top of the bag within the last week. Not bad for only being in the bag about one month. I added more soil around the stems yesterday. The soil is now nearly to the top of the bag. So far I am impressed with how well the potatoes have grown in the bag. My newly planted beans have been slow to germinate in the cool wet soil. My brother had to replant the corn (it was also slow to germinate) when birds apparently snapped the most of the new corn seedlings off. This is what I have been harvesting in the garden: Lettuce, green onions, chives. I will submit pictures of the garden in my next blog entry.