Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Waiting for Spring, Lots of Rain

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Friday, March 21, 2008

Waiting for Spring, Lots of Rain

The Calendar says March 21st, but the weather has been more like February 21st. Received lots of rain the last few days, so the soil is really wet and cold right now. A sure sign of spring is the walking/topsetting onions are starting to get some visible green growth on them(see picture to the left). It looks like most of the topsets I planted last fall survived the winter. I did have to push some back into the ground as the freezing and thawing cycles have caused some to heave out of the ground. I should be receiving my candy and stockton red onion plants from Dixondale on or around March 31st.

My seed planting is well underway. Here is what I planted indoors since my last blog entry:

Cabbage - March 15
Brussels Sprouts - March 15
Park Seed Whopper Green Pepper - March 15

I must admit I have gotten a little lazy over the years and have stopped starting seeds for Roma tomatoes and hot peppers since I have been able to find the transplants at a local nursery. Besides, my cold frame has started to get very crowed over the last few springs, so room was an issue. Most of my earlier started lettuce seeds have germinated and are now in the cold frame. Also in the cold frame now is celery, broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts. I put up a hoop up last weekend where the lettuce will be planted. I like to do this ahead of planting to help warm the soil and keep it drier. I am hoping that warmer and drier weather arrives soon!!