Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Cold and Wet Weather Continues

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Saturday, March 29, 2008

Cold and Wet Weather Continues

The weather has continued cold and wetter than normal. The ground just started to dry a bit and then it rained again. Oh well, not much one can do about the weather. I have all my seedlings in the cold frame now with the exception of the Green Ice lettuce. One older packet of seeds said light was required for germination, and another did not. Well, light is required for germination, so I had to replant.

Gardening activity is starting to get going for me. I am going to try to plant some Sugar Ann snap peas today. This is a new pea variety for me this year. I am hopeful that the soil is warm enough for germination. I am also going to put up my bean trellis today. I should be receiving my onion plants in the mail early next week!!

I have had a few e-mails inquiring about the garden hoops that I use in the garden. These easy to use hoops are a very easy to use and are an excellent way to extend the garden season, both in the spring and the fall (see picture below of a hoop in use in my garden in April 2006).



If you purchase the garden clips, they will come with instructions for use. Essentially, the medium garden clips are for use with either 1/2 inch white PVC pipe or 1/2 inch black poly pipe. I recommend the 1/2 inch poly pipe because it is flexible and easier to bend. For a small hoop (3' x 5'), which is what I use, you will need 3, 5' lengths of poly pipe and a 4' x 8' piece of cover material (I use ordinary and cheap clear to slightly opaque drop cloth plastic which you can buy in rolls from any home improvement or hardware store). The great thing about these hoops is that once you are finished with them, you just pull them up and store them. The pipe just pushes into the existing soil about six inches or so. You can also use these hoops to hold shade netting, or a row cover. The poly pipe can be somewhat hard to find, but I found mine at a local Tractor Supply store.

Here are some useful links for hoop house materials:


Happy Spring Gardening!!