Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Fall Garden Going Strong

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fall Garden Going Strong

Sorry for the delay in writing this post. I have been having a few technical difficulties, which I think have now been solved. The fall garden is growing really well. The broccoli crop has probably been the best fall crop ever. The plants have produced many good-sized main heads and a fair amount of side shoots (side shoot production is usually very limited for me in the fall). The weather, overall, has been warmer than normal over the last month or so. It has cooled down the last week. This morning I had the first widespread moderate to heavy frost. Not to worry, I have most of the still producing plants covered either with row covers or plastic hoops. The fall cabbage has also grown well. Most of the cauliflower is still maturing, so I have those plant covered (although they are frost tolerant plants, they seem to like a little protection). The peppers and tomatoes are probably finished for the year after this morning. My late-planted green beans growing in the raised bed corn plot produced a very nice harvest before the frost. My celery is still growing and producing and I also have the plants covered with row covers. I will have to wait and see if it got too cold this morning for them. My carrots are growing nicely, but are still a bit small to harvest. I also have them covered. The late-planted lettuce is coming along, albeit a little slower now. I should be able to get a small lettuce harvest soon. Overall, the fall garden has produced very well this year. Here is the list of vegetables I have been harvesting from the garden over the last month: Tomatoes, peppers, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, radishes, green onions, green beans, lima beans.