Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Cabbage Moth Explosion, Autumn Begins

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Monday, September 22, 2008

Cabbage Moth Explosion, Autumn Begins

Welcome to the first day of Autumn. Wow, summer just flew by this year! My early fall garden is still producing. The cabbage moths are everywhere and I have been spraying "bt" on my broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower to keep them in check. This is the worst cabbage worm infestation I have ever seen!! Despite the cabbage worms, those plants are doing very well (see pics below). The one group planted in the raised bed is doing a bit better than the others that were planted in the regular plot. Small heads are starting to develop on most of the broccoli plants now, so it wont be long until fresh garden broccoli (Yum!!). My roma tomato plants have started to look a little better now. The same goes for my pole limas. I started harvesting green onions again over the last week. My late planted carrots are growing better now since we received some rain. Both the green and banana peppers are growing well and are producing a nice crop. The celery plants are still producing nice stalks, as long as I keep the plants watered well. The weather has been warmer than normal for the last week or so and the forecast is for more of the same for about the next week. I have started to water as the soil has begun to dry out again. I have just started to pick green beans again, with more to come. Happy Fall Gardening!!