Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Summer Harvest Continues - Tomatoes and Corn

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Friday, August 08, 2008

Summer Harvest Continues - Tomatoes and Corn

Harvest continues in my square foot garden. The weather has been somewhat hot and dry up to a few days ago when I got some much needed rain. I harvested a pretty good number of roma tomatoes today and made some sauce using a Food Strainer & Sauce Maker. This makes quick work of a lot of tomatoes. The tomato plants are still smaller than they should be and will probably not produce as many tomatoes as a normal year. A quick update on my spring broccoli. In a previous entry I said that the side shoot production was not very good....well, the plants did produced many side shoots, they just took some time to get growing. I think it was the best year every for the spring broccoli. I planted some cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower seedlings in the potato raised bed on August 6th. I will be planting more cauliflower and broccoli seedlings into my spring broccoli/cabbage plot tomorrow. I will also be planting some lettuce seedlings and carrot seeds tomorrow. The corn is ready to pick and I will be having fresh corn tonight for dinner!! (see pic below of two ears of corn ready to be picked) This is a great time of year to plant many cool season vegetables, but you must keep them watered during the heat and dryness of late summer. You will be rewarded for your work later this fall. Also, now is a good time to plant a late crop of fast maturing green beans. Fall will be here before you know it!!