Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Harvesting Underway Now

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Sunday, July 01, 2007

Harvesting Underway Now















The harvesting has kicked into full gear now!! I was away for five days this week and upon my return I could not believe how much my plants have grown. I guess my two weeks of almost nonstop watering has paid off. It did rain a little last week, about 0.80 inches of rain, but more is still needed. I think parts of Indiana received much more rain than I did. My green beans are ready for harvest, both varieties Espada and RomaII. I also picked three heads of cabbage with more to come. I also continue to harvest cucumbers, lettuce, celery, hot banana peppers, broccoli side shoots, and peas. The corn my brother planted this year, Silver Queen, is already over six feet tall and has started to tassel. So far, the electric fence has worked on keeping the squirrels out (Knock on Wood). The Yukon Gold potatoes are growing OK, but I think the raised bed had dried out maybe too much between waterings. My onions tops have started to fall over, so it will not be long before I begin harvesting them. The variety of red onion, Red Bull, which I planted for the first time this year is not very big which is somewhat disappointing. I really like the flavor of red onions, but I have yet to find a variety that grows well for me. The yellow onion "Candy" continues to impress me year after year.

Overall, I would rate the harvest from my spring crops as above average this year despite the unusually hot and dry conditions. My broccoli did really well this year.

The Japanese Beetles have arrived, but I have only seen minimal damage on a few of the vegetable plants.

In a few days, I will be starting my fall seeds of broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower to transplant out in early to mid August. I cannot believe I am already talking about fall crops!!!

Well that is all for now, I have to go harvest green beans.........YUM!!!