Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Lettuce Harvest Begins, New Electric Fence

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Saturday, May 05, 2007

Lettuce Harvest Begins, New Electric Fence



The weather here has finally turned warm. The lettuce is finally starting to grow now. I harvested the first bit of lettuce about one week ago. I harvested quite a bit of young tender greens 2 days ago. I forgot how good fresh garden lettuce tasted!! I started more lettuce seeds of Buttercrunch, Craquerelle du Midi, and Green Towers about one week ago. These are more heat tolerant varieties. I took down my hoop house over my lettuce as the weather has finally warmed up enough. Harvest continues on my top settting onions for green onions. I fertilized my bulb onions with Gardens Alive Root Crop Fertilizer a few days ago. I also watered them as the soil was getting a little dry. I planted 5 fennel plants a few days ago. Today I am going to plant my tomato, pepper, cucumber, and celery seedlings out into the garden. I think the weather has warmed up enough to do that. If time permits, I will also be planting pole lima beans and my first crop of green beans. The broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprout plants are growing nicely and I will be side dressing them soon with Gardens Alive Vegetable Fertilizer. Today, I will also be taking down my cold frame for the year. My peas have finally started to emerge from the ground. My brother planted Yukon Gold potatoes about one week ago and planted his corn about 5 days ago. He decided to try Silver Queen this year. He also installed an electric fence around the corn plot in an attempt to keep the rabbits and squirrels away (see pic above). I purchased the "Mr. McGregor's Fence" which came with much more than I think we needed. He installed just the battery operated controller with the two wires around the plot. The wires are situated about one inch apart just above the top of the raised bed. So far so good. If any of my readers have used this electric fence or any other kind, please send me an e-mail or comment below on your results. I would be very interested to hear from you.