Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: 2008 Garden Season Coming to an End

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Sunday, November 30, 2008

2008 Garden Season Coming to an End

The 2008 gardening season is fast coming to an end. Since my last post of early November, there has been a few very hard freezes. In fact, there were a few days where the temperature did not even get above freezing. Most of the rest of the garden that was still growing has since died, like the broccoli and cauliflower. I even gave up on the brussels sprouts plants and pulled all of them up a few days ago. The only thing left in the garden now is one plot of carrots and one plot of lettuce. I harvested some lettuce under the plastic hoop about 5 days ago. This should just about be the last lettuce harvest of the year. Yesterday, I harvested one plot of carrots that was growing under a row cover (see pics below). I was pleased with the harvest from this small plot. If you have never grown carrots in the fall, you are missing out. They are much sweeter than spring-grown carrots. I still have one more carrot plot (approx. 4 ft x 3 ft) left, which is covered by a plastic hoop. I will wait to harvest them later. There is nothing better than going out into the garden and harvesting carrots in the snow!! Happy Winter Gardening!!