Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal: Rain Sweet Rain - Potatoes and Corn

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal

Welcome to Tim's Square Foot Gardening Journal or Blog, if you like. This is where you can keep up to date on what is happening in my square foot garden, so check back often for updates!! This is a supplement to my main Square Foot Gardeing Web Page which can be viewed by clicking on the following link:

Tim's Square Foot Gardening Page

Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States


Sunday, July 29, 2007

Rain Sweet Rain - Potatoes and Corn

It finally rained in my garden last week, about 0.90 inches of rain over a two day period!!! I needed more, but I will take what ever rain I can get at this point. It rained enough to keep the soil wet for at least 2 days. The forecast is for hot and dry weather for the next week (what else is new). My brother harvested the Yukon Gold potatoes about one week ago. I would call this crop decent. These potatoes are very tasty. I think they did better than the Red Pontiacs that were grown last year. My brother also started harvesting his Silver Queen white corn about one week ago as well. The first harvest might have been just a touch early, but they were very good. I had some of this corn last night and it was superb!! BTW, the electric fence is working to perfection. The squirrels have not invaded the plot this year. I harvested the last of the early planted green beans. I have more beans planted which won't be ready for another month or so. I planted more green beans yesterday in the plot that I had my spring onions in. I also planted some top setting onions for green onions. My Roma tomatoes are finally turning red and I will begin harvesting them today. My green peppers are getting bigger now and I have continued to harvest banana peppers. I will start my fall crop of lettuce in about another week. I will also be direct seeding carrots in about a week. My broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower seedlings are getting some size to them and I anticipate transplanting them out into the garden in about another 2 weeks. Wow, I cannot believe it is almost August. For those of you in my USDA Ag Zone 5, early to mid August is the time to start your fall garden. Happy Gardening!!